Go To Search

How are Initial Certificates of Maximum Allowable Rents (MARs) determined?
The Rent Stabilization Program Administrator uses formulas for calculating the MAR in Initial Certificates that consider the date the tenant moved into the rental unit, the Adjusted Base Year Rent, and the Annual General Adjustments (AGAs) allowed since then. The determined Base Year Rent, which for new tenants is the rent at initial occupancy, is adjusted by subtracting any discounts provided the tenant divided across the first 12 months, and adding the amount of any regulated housing service fees included in the initial rental agreement. This Adjusted Base Year Rent is then multiplied by any accumulated Annual General Adjustments since the Base Year. The full chart of the Administrative Formulas for Calculation of MARs and other documents are on the City’s website: http://www.ci.east-palo-alto.ca.us/rentprogramRent Stabilization Program

Rent Stabilization FAQ

Show All Answers

1. Are utility and other housing service fees included in the Maximum Allowable Rent?
2. How are Initial Certificates of Maximum Allowable Rents (MARs) determined?
3. What is an Initial Certificate of Maximum Allowable Rent ("MAR")?
4. Can I be charged a City registration fee of $9.75 in addition to my rent?
5. When and how much can my landlord raise my rent?
6. What is an Annual General Adjustment (“AGA”) and how is it to be used to raise rents?
7. What does it mean to “bank” an AGA for future rent increases?
8. Why send notices to tenants about rents, discounts provided, and fees charged by their landlord?
9. How to Secure Compliance with East Palo Alto’s Rent Control Protections